The world today is driven by technology; this is evident in our everyday activities. From something as basic as our mobile phones to more sophisticated technological tools like long-range satellites, medical machines, and the likes, all prove how important and dominant technology is in today’s world.
The field of dentistry is not left out in this technological era as it has had a positive influence on the way diseases are diagnosed, treated, and prevented. Though you might not be familiar with all these new and improved dental technologies, they have a lot to offer patients.
The following is a list of some types of dental technology that are either presently available or will soon be.
- Air Abrasion Technology: This device is a better substitute for the regular dental drill. The dental drill produces noise and vibrations when in use to remove a tiny amount of teeth material, and this could bother patients. But with air abrasion technology, there is no noise or vibrations during its use.
- Anesthesia Wand: Some patients can’t stand the sight of a needle, and the anesthesia wand is a perfect substitute. This device is like a pen that measures the exact amount of anesthetic needed, pre-numbs the area of insertion, and then injects the anesthetic without the patient feeling a thing.
- CAD/CAM: Same day permanent crown restoration has been made possible by this technology. This is done with the combination of 3-D digital imaging, manufacturing technology, and computer-aided design. With this, you no longer have to wait for weeks to get your permanent crown restoration.
- Cone Beam CT Imaging: We use this technology in creating a virtual model of your mouth. It uses robust computer programs to stitch together a series of x-ray images taken to develop the virtual model. With this technology, several procedures that were unattempted can be performed, and diseases are can be easily detected.
- Dental Implants: It is the preferred method of teeth replacement. The implants comprise small titanium metal which serves to replace the root part of the missing teeth. A customized crown is fixed to the implants and looks and feels just like the natural teeth.
- Digital Dental Impressions: Typically, to get the model of your bite or teeth, you have to bite down on a putty-like material. But with the invention of this technology, it becomes unnecessary to bite down on a putty material as there are now improved ways of getting the model. We now employ the use of a digital imaging device in getting your bite or teeth model.
- Digital X-Rays: X-rays are essential in the practice of dentistry. The emergence of digital x-rays has certain advantages over the traditional x-ray imaging. Unlike conventional x-rays, exposure to radiation during a digital x-ray is very minimal, and you don’t need to wait very long for the pictures to develop. Digital x-rays also produce better images that can still be further enhanced if need be.
- Intra-Oral CameraL Tiny cameras can be used to get a better view of what is happening inside your mouth. This visualization will help in giving the correct diagnosis and even treatment. The images seen can also be saved or recorded as a video.
- Laser Diagnosis and Treatment: Laser technology is employed in different fields, and now it is also used in the field of dentistry. A laser can detect tooth decay, and is also useful in the treatment of gum disease and cancerous cells in the mouth.